Location: US -- Pittsburgh, PAField:
Principal Systems Engineer
Daedalus is an award-winning and growing leader in the fields of research, design, and engineering. We help clients understand market and user needs, create innovative solutions, and design and engineer products and interfaces for manufacture and launch. Although the firm has its deepest experience in products for healthcare, safety, and science, we also regularly engage in consumer product development. High quality customer service and great product outcomes are our most important values, and we pride ourselves on long term relationships with numerous global corporations. Located steps from two leading universities, Daedalus shares its expertise through undergraduate and graduate courses, public lectures, and professional training services. This creates a stimulating and productive environment of teaching, learning, and practice.
Our highly capable product development team is looking for a Principal Systems Engineer. This is a challenging role that entails a mixture of solving complex product development problems using first principles of science and engineering; designing and architecting systems that incorporate electronics, software, and mechanical components; managing projects and budgets, and maximizing client satisfaction; and evaluating engineering candidates for hire, mentoring junior staff, and making recommendations for capital equipment and software to satisfy team needs. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience across a large range of hardware and software systems, a strong background and natural interest in basic sciences, and a broad and continually evolving knowledge of the state of various technologies relevant to our and our clients' needs.
Other disciplines at Daedalus include user needs research, industrial design, GUI design, software engineering, and mechanical engineering. Daedalus provides an environment where everyone is a self-starter and works both independently and in a team.
- Lead the research, selection, design, development and modification of digital and analog hardware, software, systems, and electrical components.
- Lead the conceptualization, selection, and execution of system design approaches in coordination with other interdisciplinary team members.
- Lead the development of a variety of approaches to meet performance, reliability, manufacturability, cost, and other requirements for new or improved products.
- Develop project schedules and resource budgets.
- Interact with clients in both formal and informal settings, email, and conference calls.
- Create CAD schematics, PCB layouts, and detailed documentation for new products.
- Select appropriate prototyping methods, procure and assemble prototype circuit boards.
- Conduct testing of existing and prototype product designs to diagnose issues and make routine improvements or modifications to produce desired results.
- Drive outside resources such as PCB prototype houses and contract manufacturers to support overall team goals.
- Above all, make prudent, clever, careful, successful, and decisive design choices.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer science, software engineering or related field preferred
- Fourteen (14) or more years experience in either hardware or software development and design.
- Mastery of the use of analysis tools such as oscilloscopes, DVMs, lab-type power supplies, serial port communications, and logic analyzers.
- If the candidate has a primarily hardware background, mastery of at least 1 electronic CAD system, Altium preffered.
- If the candidate has a primarily software background, extensive experience in embedded software development for a variety of microcontroller families in C and/or C++.
- Ability to interpret component and system specifications and requirements.
- Possess excellent hands-on electro-mechanical aptitude and wide-ranging knowledge a variety of electronic systems.
- Previous experience working for a Product Development Firm is a plus.
- Must possess excellent skills in both spoken and written English
- Applications are welcomed from job candidates with the qualifications described.
- This is an in-office position with flexible working hours.
- Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience and capability
- The position is open to US citizens, permanent residents, or those with authorization to work in the US.
- Please apply and follow up through the link below. Include message in body describing the primary reasons you are a fit for this position. Include resume, portfolio, and any other relevant materials via link or .pdf, Word or .ppt attachment. Digital applications only; mailed or delivered materials will not be reviewed or returned.