Location: US -- Pittsburgh, PA
User Experience Designer, User Interface Designer
User Interface, Interaction Design, Experience Design, Graphic Design
Successful candidates will work closely and collaboratively with clients as well as Daedalus researchers, human factors specialists, UX, UI, visual, and industrial designers, as well as software, mechanical, and electrical engineers. Primary responsibilities include helping clients to develop their UX vision and requirements; conveying compelling UX solutions through storyboards, process flows, and sitemaps; and delivering successful UI concepts in the form of wireframes and, at times, as polished screen mock-ups. The UX/UI designer will also share responsibility for uncovering user needs and testing a UI’s usability, often working with a Daedalus researcher to conduct user observation and interviews. Designers with a UX focus may team with a UI and/or visual designer to specify a finished UI and create production-ready assets.
- Experience designing great user experiences for desktop, mobile, embedded, or kiosk software.
- Deep understanding of interactive design concepts and their application.
- A grasp of how layout, typography, and iconography make or break the usability of software screens.
- Aptitude for creating UX/UI mockups that illustrate how software should look and work, from a user’s perspective.
- Expert proficiency using Adobe Illustrator, Sketch App, or a similar current platform for screen design.
- Ability to articulate interactive concepts using Invision, Proto.io, Adobe apps, Keynote, and/or with HTML/JS/CSS.
- Ability to execute projects from initial design to support of the engineering effort, including specification and asset production.
- Ability to manage simultaneous projects in possibly wildly different domains.
- Excellent communication skills (in conversation, writing, and presentation).
- Ability and desire to achieve great results on schedule and in budget.
- Must have experience receiving, integrating and taking initiative based on colleagues' and/or client critiques.
Applications are welcomed from job candidates with the qualifications described above.
- Experience participating in qualitative research, including contextual inquiry, ethnographic observation, and individual and group interviews.
- Experience with quantitative research methods.
- Ability to transform research insights into design requirements that can clearly be communicated to client and internal stakeholders.
Daedalus creates human-centered and high-performance products and interfaces. Although Daedalus primarily serves US and international clients in healthcare, safety, scientific, and industrial markets, the firm has also researched, designed, and engineered products and software in the consumer, educational, and service markets. Excellent client service and breakthrough outcomes for their customers are Daedalus hallmarks, as are long term relationships with leading corporations, top universities, and dynamic startup incubators. In addition to project work, Daedalus shares its expertise and insight through teaching, conference speaking, professional training, board service, and community activities. As an example of the firm’s community activities, each year Daedalus sponsors Design Lives Here, providing financial assistance and personnel to this STEM initiative of the Pittsburgh area public schools and the television station WQED.
Daedalus does not pay employment agency fees, nor does it accept or review candidate materials submitted by agencies.