Position: Mechanical DesignerStatus:
Daedalus is seeking a Mechanical Designer with a strong background in product development to work primarily in the Pittsburgh, PA area. Some travel and off-site work may occasionally be necessary. Designs could be for various industries including: medical, telecommunications, safety, and consumer products.
Other disciplines at Daedalus include user needs research, industrial and interaction design, software, and engineering. Daedalus is an environment where everyone is a self-starter with the ability to work independently or in a team.
- Drive good aesthetic and ergonometric designs.
- Develop new product designs or improve existing ones.
- Prepare design concepts for client presentations through sketches, renderings, models, controlled drawings, and reports.
- Review requirements with engineers to determine the practicality and feasibility relative to performance, cost, and schedule.
- Coordinate with engineers to establish basic design approach.
- Select mechanical components, create error-free 3D CAD models and 2D drawings for manufacture; generate assembly drawings and bills of materials.
- Find and interface with 3rd party suppliers and integrate their pieces into the whole system design.
- Design and build prototypes for testing, proof-of-concept, mock-ups, and functional appearance models.
- Interface with outside resources such as prototype houses and contract manufacturers.
- Support multiple projects in various phases of development, provide cost estimates, and communicate technical issues to team.
- But above all, make prudent, clever, careful, and decisive design choices.
- Minimum 2 year technical degree, with 4 year degree preferred but not required, plus at least 2 to 5 years of applicable experience.
- Must have 1000 hours or more experience with Solidworks. Creo/ProE experience is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Ability to interpret specifications.
- Familiar with industry standards. Knowledge of Geometric Tolerancing, ASME Y14.5
- Knowledge of design for manufacturability, assembly, and automation.
- Experience introducing new products into a production environment
- Possess excellent hands-on mechanical aptitude and knowledge of mechanisms.
- Knowledge of injection molded process and how to design for injection molding.
- Previous experience working for a Product Development Firm is a plus.
- Must possess excellent skills in both verbal and written English.
- Proficient with mechanical and electrical measurement instruments
- Experience with the safe and effective operation and maintenance of 3D printers and machine tools.
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and able to work in a fast-paced environment